Tuesday, February 27, 2007

We Can't Have All

Everytime my wife, YhanYhan vocally expresses her disappointments on me and frustrations hits her so badly, I am clever in saying, "Life is like that. We can't have it all."

Unable to accept my justification and in a furious mind, she would say, " Bakit, ano bang meron ka?". I would laugh and say, " I am rich - rich in goodness!"

Well, my wife maybe right in some way, because I don't exactly knew what I have. But that doesn't bothered me at all because I know she's just joking everytime she says that. I am confident of her great love for me and I know where my place is in her heart. But everytime we had that same confrontation, I am led to the realization that people usually wanted to have all in life. And that includes my wife, me and you.

To be honest, I borrowed that words from former President Cory Aquino. When press people interviewed Cory Aquino on the issue of Kris Aquino's controversial break up with former live-in parter Joey Ma rquez, she smiled and said she advised her daugther to move on with her life and believe that despite being blessed in almost everything, failure in her relationship is part of life's trials because "she can't have all in life".

That hits me in the head. There is wisdom and inspiration from the words that she uttered. Truly, life here on earth is a never ending quest for meaning and happiness that not even material things can fill. Material things may give us joy, true, but not lasting joy and genuine happiness. No wonder why drugs addicts always crave for their addictions.

I wasnt' surprised then, when I watched on the Oprah Winfrey show a doll-looking woman who had undergone twenty-six plastic surgeries in her life but still uncontended with what she looks like. If you have read the Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren, you will surely understand what I am saying. "Our life has God-shaped vacuum that only God can fill" wrote Blaise Pascal.

I have learned to stuck in my mind that as long as I am here on Earth, life will not be complete and the search for true happiness and contentment will never end. Because I know that true happiness can only be attain once I will be united with my Creator in heaven. God is the reason why we are here and so in Him alone will we find the fullness of life.

Life will be less hassle and stress free if we all think that way. If we all remember that we are just stewards of the life that GOD loaned to us. That we can't have all that we wish for. I love that line from Bro. Bo Sanches book that states," Contentment is not getting what we want, but wanting what we already have." God has given us almost all to enjoy life, yet it's hard for us to content ourselves with what we have.

Let us ponder that life can only be made complete by the One who created it on the first place.

No comments: